Thursday, January 29, 2009

My New (old) Training Plan

Well, originally Brian had designed an awesome training plan for me, based on the principles from The Triathlete's Training Bible by Joe Friel. My excuse is the holidays, but really, probably my own lack of organization is the real factor in keeping me from following the plan (which was VERY thoroughly written out, might I add...).

So, instead of creating a NEW plan that would give me 9 wks till race date, I'm going to just start at the top of the original plan and have this first race be a "warm-up" instead of a peak...there's no way I'd be ready to peak in April anyway and what the heck?!...I haven't raced since October of 2007!!!! (WHILE I was unknowingly pregnant with Kallen! ha!!! No wonder I had such an appetite afterwards!) So Lone Star will be a good chance to run through a race and transitions and all!! And probably will need the wetsuit, so a good practice with that as well---especially exiting from it in transition! :)

Basically, I'll start next wk...using this week to get adjusted to the trainer, which by the way is HARD!!!! And I'm super used to spinning, but this is just different...also I'm in tri position so maybe that's why? Regardless, my quads are BURNING!

So my plan till Lone Star looks like this:

wk 1 Base 1 (10.5hrs)
wk 2 Base 1 (5.5hrs)
wk 3 Base 2 (8.5hrs)
wk 4 Base 2 (10 hrs)
wk 5 Base 2 (11hrs)
wk 6 Base 2 (5.5hrs)
wk 7 Base 3 (9hrs)
wk 8 Base 3 (10.5hrs)
wk 9 Pre-Race, slight taper/easy wk
April 4 Race

So this is a rough sketch...the hrs per wk are just estimates/goals. Brian said that they're negotiable as long as I do my best :) having the trainer at home will help a TON! As well as having the most amazing running stroller ever! I love it!!


I'll try to do my best at outlining the individual workouts...There are some GREAT workouts in the Training Bible. He also has a lot of great resources at his website. Smart man!

2 comments:

  1. i'm sorry. i'm an idiot. but what does that mean? what's base 1, 2 and 3?? and is the time TOTAL on the bike for that week? certainly not 10 hours a dAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha!!! you're awesome!! yes 10 for the WK TOTAL! (all sports actually...actually i'm throwing in my time with weights too, even though I'm pretty sure that's cheating!!) Then the base is just the "type" of training...base building so its kind of easy...not too intense..its that guy Joe Friel's terms...and to be honest, that book totally overwhelms me...i couldn't even begin to do this without brian! ha!! :) GOOD questions!! :)

    ReplyDelete